Saturday, February 18, 2017

What Would You Do With Another You?

If God would give me a second life to live, I would be a missionary. I'd go to school to learn how to relate cross-culturally. I'd learn a new language, and I'd go to a foreign land where there are women who dress, speak, and eat differently than me. I would  meet a need and win them over as friends. Then one day, while sitting around the cooking fire or washing clothes in the creek, the Spirit would put the words in my mouth to tell them about Jesus. Some would immediately recognize Him as Someone they'd seen in their dreams and decide to trust Him as Savior. Others would need to ask more questions. (Squeal of delight inserted here)

The missionary life in the traditional sense has not been my life, but an equally important thing has been. I have the privilege to give so others can go. I love that God let's me do eternal work with my checkbook and my prayers. A friend quoted her pastor to me the other day with regards to missions: "There are the senders, there are the goers, and there are the disobedient!" In my college years, my heart was open to going if God wanted. I have learned that it is up to us to offer ourselves for a certain work, but it is up to God to take us up on our offer or not. It is also up to Him how long we do a work for Him. To everything there is a season. What season are you in?  Waiting is a season too. I seem to have lifetime tickets to that season. Anybody else? 

What about you? What do you wish you could do if you weren't doing what you are now?  Can you think of a way to do it even if it's not exactly as you dreamed? I challenge you to pray about this. You may be delightfully surprised how God may answer that desire if your heart. 

I have the privilege of ministering to women full time who have a struggle I have never experienced. I know what you're thinking. I tried to tell God He had the wrong girl, too, but He wasn't hearing it. Something about His grace being sufficient. His other favorite with me is  2 Corinthians 3:5 "It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own. Our qualification comes from God." For nearly six years my qualification has come from God.  Every day my heart's prayer is that God will let me be of some use for Him and to someone there. 
What are you doing on grace fumes alone? What have you learned because of it? I would love to hear about it!

By the way, thank you all for hanging with me through these 31 days. Only a few more to go! It's been wild. Some days I can't get my  editing mind to work. Thanks for scrambling through the typos and rambling thoughts. Thanks for taking time to comment. You guys rock and I love you! 

1 comment: