Friday, September 19, 2014

Shhh...

"And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice."  1Kings 19:12

I was sitting on my patio one morning when a hummingbird flew so close to me, I could've touched it.  It was so beautiful! I didn't dare breathe too deeply for fear I would shorten its visit.  

I knew this tiny creature would not stay long so I drank in every second he hovered eye-level to me.  I took quick mental pictures of its iridescent colors, the amazing speed of its tiny wings, and that bee-like buzz those wings let off. 
  
Then it was gone. 

I let out the breath I was holding and scrambled to relive the rare encounter. I wanted more! How could I make it happen again?  

Stillness was the only way. 

Same with hearing the voice of God.  He's everywhere at once, but if you want Him to visit you one-on-one and speak to you, you must make your heart and life quiet enough.


God often speaks in a still, quiet whisper. Are you ever still enough to hear it? Could it be that an answer you're waiting for has been spoken over and over by the Father, but you can't hear it over the clamor of the radio in your car, the television in your home, and the standing open-door policy you have with your cell phone and social media?


Lack of quiet is a breeding ground for anxiety, confusion, and the accusing voice of the enemy.  

Quiet and stillness send an invitation to the Father to come over and have a talk.

Be encouraged to make pockets of quiet a priority in your day. The loving interaction God has with your spirit is  sweeter than anything, even the buzzing of a hummingbird's wings.

Shhh...God is speaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment