Thursday, January 16, 2014

$2.50


I was about eight years old. My mother had been busy making dinner and had no way of noticing I was unusually quiet. But later as she saw me slumped over the arm of the sofa looking dejected, she asked, "What's wrong?"

 I was quiet for a moment as I tried to find the words, but I couldn't.  This problem had been brewing for months and had come to a head. My little heart was beating fast, and my mouth got dry.


Mom waited for an answer.


 I burst out crying.
Again, she asked what was troubling me. So between sobs I explained, " My teacher said I have to bring the money for my workbook so she can take my name off that list she has on the board. Whaaaaaah!"
Naturally my mother asked how much she needed to send.
"Two {sniff, sniff}  d-d-dollars( gasp, choke) and fif-fifty cents!" I managed.
That was many years ago, but still I recall the silence that followed after Mama had me fetch her purse.
I am sure you are thinking what she thought all those years ago. Why the tears over two dollars and fifty cents? The truth is,  my eight-year-old mind  thought it would be a strain on the family budget to pay for the school workbook.  I had no way to pay it myself and my teacher had been reminding me over and over that I must bring the fee to school. Two dollars and two quarters bought more back then than it does today, but still, it was not a lot of money. Certainly not worth the tears and agonizing I did over it.
 It was silly.
But is it any sillier than the worrying we do over adult-size problems we won't bring to our even bigger God? We stress,  lose sleep, and even become depressed over  problems that are big to us but are a mere $2.50 to the God Who created the trees from which money is made.
A friend once said to me when I shared there was a BIG mountain in my life  God would have to move if certain things were going to happen, "Georgia, it's JUST a mountain to Jehovah!"
 Do not allow the size of your  problems to block out the size of  your God.
Today, bring your burdens to the Him. Jesus has already issued His invitation to you.
"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened" (Matthew 11:28).
He also says to throw all your worries on Him. Why? Because He cares for you (1 Peter 5:7).
Whether your burden weighs a ton or costs thousands to fix, it's the same as two dollars and fifty cents to God for whom nothing is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment